Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Foolproof Transfer Method







Several months ago I wrote a tutorial on how to use 70% rubbing alcohol to do a really good transfer. At that time, I did use my dye ink printer (Epson) and probably should have used my other Epson with durabright pigment inks because they smeared a little. The other day I was reading something and found out that instead of using the straight alcohol, I should try Purell Instant Hand Sanitzer. Found it at the grocery store and when I looked at the ingredients, I saw that it was basically water, alcohol and glycerin.






As a person who has taught classes on how to transfer with several different methods and am always always looking for a better method--I can tell you that this is it for me. No paper rubbing, no soaking, no swirling, no paper bunnies left. I can't find a single drawback except the type of paper that I had to use. It's the same as I recommended before, Printworks Everyday Satin Photo Paper. It has a bit of a shine and I did use my Epson with pigment inks.
Always turn your printed image face down onto your receiving paper after you spread out some of the sanitizer on the receiver. Then burnish slightly.






I again first tried it out and used my Epson inkjet dye ink printer and Great White photo paper (from a stash that I have) and I also tried my laser printer and the only way I got this to work was using the Printworks Satin paper or a transparency.






WalMart doesn't carry the Printworks Satin anymore but I think Target still does and you can go on line and see who else. I also got some at CVS pharmacy here in Dallas. If you get it to work well on another paper, write me and let us know.






You have to use enough of the hand sanitizer or you won't get a good transfer. However, you can take a foam brush, lift up the image and dab on some more if you didn't get the whole thing and want it. My transfer of the little girl was using a transparency and a sponge brush. Obviously, I didn't use enough. But, on the other hand, it looks like a transfer and sometimes I like that a lot.



The second picture of the angel was printed on the Printworks paper. It's almost too good. Looks like a print. Next time I will tear it or you can put a piece of torn tissue paper along the edges of the image and it will look not so perfect.






The third picture of the flowers was a transparency. I wanted to see if it would work on a gessoed surface. So, I used a gessoed magazine page. I don't like it as much as just using the Printworks paper because if you use too much sanitzer or don't let it "settle in" before you burnish it, it smears all over the place. You gotta let it sit for a minute before you burnish a bit.



And I do burnish with my fingers. Gently.






So, try it. If you are used to doing the gel medium and the paper rubbing off, you might just be pleasantly surprised.

14 comments:

Kathy said...

G~
I will bookmark this, with many, many thanks for sharing this information with us. I love the girl photo, thats my favorite.
~xx~
Kathy

glimmering prize said...

that's fantastic G- i will have to try it!

Jean Levert Hood said...

This is sooo awesome, Glenda, and I can't wait to try it! I tried the other method without much success, but I don't have special inks in my printer. I"m anxious to try this, and I too don't mind if it isn't complete, looking like a transfer. So,maybe this will work better with my printer. Thank you!

PisforPaper said...

Very cool! I would never have thought of using hand sanitizer!!:)

Pam McKnight said...

I enjoyed visiting your blog today. Thanks for the info. I will have to try it. I was an art teacher in Dallas for years but moved to Idaho last year. Too bad I didn't know you when I lived near you!

Alisa Nordholt-Dean said...

Glenda - Thanks for sharing! I'll definitely have to try it!

CreativSpirit said...

Thanks Glenda, I am a gel medium transfer junkie, but would love to try this method, just have to get the right hand cleaner. Thanks for sharing.

Michi Michaelson, Orange County, CA said...

This is a GREAT tip, Glenda!! THANK YOU so much for sharing!!!

QueenBe said...

Can't wait to try this one... the help is much appreciated.

Anonymous said...

I have been wanting to try the transfer method and this tutorial comes at just the right time. Thank you for posting your instructions. On the second image that you show is this transferred to paper or fabric. I hoping to transfer images to fabric.
Iris.

Kim said...

Thanks for sharing Glenda!

pinkglitterfae said...

I'm bookmarking this. Thanks for the info! I need to find me some purell now. I've never heard of printworks paper, probably not carried here in Canada, so I hope some other satin paper may work instead.

ScaryCheri said...

way cool Glenda. Thanks for sharing this with us. Hugz, Scary

Ed said...

This looks so good I may even try it myself, thank you for sharing - I got your link from Faye's blog.