Monday, June 22, 2015

What is impasto art?

Well, it didn't take long for some of my friends to email me and say "Hey, missy, what on earth IS impasto?"

Impasto can be either acrylic or oil painting.  I found out pretty quick that although I got oil paint all over my clothes when I use it, that it was a good thing in the long run.  I can come back the next day to a piece that I made and make corrections.  Something that acrylic paints will never let you do.
So, for now oil it is.

Impasto is thick, thick, painting.  I do it with a palette knife which helps keep that buttery, frosting look.  It stands up off the canvas and makes a gorgeous presentation.  I have found that the depth can be fairly low or by using an impasto medium, it can go to fairly great heights.

As usual, when I begin with a new medium, I cannot seem to find a lot of newer work with explanations from seasoned artists to guide me along.  The same thing happened to me several years ago when I embarked on a mission to learn to use encaustics (resin and beeswax).  I actually think that might be a good thing, but at first it is pretty frustrating.

This time, the experience wasn't so expensive.  All you need to start out with is oil paint, some impasto medium, some canvases and a couple of palette knives.  I find out as far as the knives go, I bought lots, only use a few.  And then practice, practice, practice.

My first pieces were pathetic, but then again, you can scrape the canvas off, and start again.

So, thick, thicker, thickest paint, applied with a palette knife and an apron (well, really, to be honest I cannot even eat without food on my shirt, so maybe most of you can skip the apron).

Here are a few more pieces



It does take a couple of weeks for the canvases to be ready to hang, sell, or handled.  The oil dries slowly.  I am experimenting with another gel medium and a spray to see if I can get them to dry before somebody decides to put an elbow in them here at my art room.

But, having fun.  A LOT of fun.

No comments: