Thursday, May 9, 2019

My article in the current Somerset Apprentice

Somerset Apprentice magazine, the current issue, published one of my dried flower and encaustic
wax mini collages. 

Two of my favorite things in life are still encaustic wax and flowers, mostly wildflowers and weeds.

My husband wishes I would find some flowers besides the ones that we have to pick on the sides of the roads, especially the highway.  I do carry a flower press in the car and sometimes a large, heavy dictionary or other book for a quick way to keep them from wilting on the way home.

If you should decide to try to press wildflowers, know this.  Don't think you can always go back and get them later.  A lot of times, the county had mowed them all down or they have just gone away for the season.  Be sure, absolutely sure, to watch for poison ivy.  You can buy them if you want. 

All flowers just cannot be pressed well.  If they are very thin or have very thick centers, forget it.
However, sometimes you can just cut them with long stems, turn them upside down and then you can have drieds, rather than pressed.  Some can even be used on the same collage.

No comments: