Monday, August 1, 2011

Fiber art challenge

Alisha's blog  The other cool Texan, my daughter Alisha, and I have been determined to challenge each other to stretch out and do more fiber art projects.  Somehow we always plan to and life just sends us on some other journey.

Well, now that my bookcase is so full that it is coming away from the wall, and had to have some carpentry work to keep it from coming down along with that wall....it was time to pick out a book and get down to business.  Since we both are so into fibers and fabrics and machine free motion and embroidery, we chose a book called Edges and Finishes in Machine Embroidery.  The title is a bit confusing.  It does include edges and finishes but it also has very very neat ideas for making a type of machine embroidered custom fabric with scrim, papers, felt, embroidery and all sorts of other yummy fibers and such. 

So, our challenge is to make a book cover using our own custom fabric.  My book is 5.5 x 8 inches, came from Target and has a soft cover.  The book cover is to be more of a "wrap" which I think should be removable.  But, I tend to get in a big excited hurry when I do new things, and so it may be glued on.

Today is the first day, project due August 15th.  I have to pick out my papers, fibers, fabrics and start my engine.

Hope you will follow us along the way.

Glenda

No comments: